Places To See and Tourist Attractions located all over Ireland. Whether stoling through Parks and Gardens admiring the lillies or enjoying Monets \Lillies\ in the Art Galleries, Ireland has alot to offer visitors of every age.
1. Art Galleries
Art galleries in Ireland possess a top quality range of Irish and international artwork…
Glebe House and Gallery (The Derek Hill Collection) (Donegal)
Address: Churchill, Letterkenny, Co. Donegal, Républik Irlan
Regency House, 1828, set in woodland gardens, decorated with William Morris textiles, Islamic and Japanese art etc. The collection includes 300 works by leading 20th century artists Picasso, Kokoshka as well as Irish and Italian artists. Exhibitions are shown in the joining gallery. Access to ground floor of the Gallery for people with disabilities.
Irish Museum of Modern Art (Dublin)
Address: Royal Hospital Kilmainham, Military Rd, Kilmainham, Dublin 8, Républik Irlan
The Irish Museum of Modern Art is Irelands leading national institution for the collection and presentation of modern and contemporary art. The Museum presents a wide variety of art and artists\ ideas in a dynamic programme of exhibitions, which regularly includes bodies of work from the Museum\s own Collection, its award-winning Education and Community Department and the Studio and National programmes. The work of younger artists to create a debate about the nature and function of art and its relationship with the public.
National Concert Hall (Dublin)
Address: Earlsfort Terrace, Saint Kevin’s, Dublin, D02 N527, Républik Irlan
The National Concert hall is Irelands most prestigious music venue. The magnificent building was designed in the classical style for the Great Exhibition of 1865. It subsequently became the centre piece of the emerging UCD before its inauguration as Ireland\s National Concert hall on the 9th September 1981. As well as weekly performances by the NSOI, the National Concert Hall promotes a programme of visiting international artists and orchestras, as well as concerts of jazz, contemporary and traditional Irish music. In addition to this, its popular Education and Outreach Programme presents concerts and events for families and children throughout the year.
Early Irish castles were predominately made of wood or earthen materials. Small farming communities based on land and spread throughout Ireland were based in circular ring forts. Irish Castles are prevalent throughout Ireland and are beautiful representations of the long and sometimes turbulent history of Ireland.
Athenry Castle (Galway)
Address: Gorteenacra, Athenry, Co. Galway, Républik Irlan
Athenry Castle in County Galway is a very renowned fortified settlement from the Dark Ages. It was constructed by Meiler de Bermingham in 1250, and boasts a 3 floor tower complimented by protective stone walls.
Aughnanure Castle (Galway)
Address: Aughnanure, Oughterard, Co. Galway, H91 PX20, Républik Irlan
Aughnanure Castle was constructed at around the turn of the 16th century by the OFlaherty clan. This Irish-style tower house was built on an island in Lough Corrib.
Address: Ballyhack, Co. Wexford, Républik Irlan
Ballyhack Castle in County Wexford was built in 1450 by the Hospitaller Order of the Knights of Saint John. There is a good view of the Waterford estuary from the tower of the castle.
Address: 9 Patrick Pearse Pl, Carrigtohill, Co. Cork, T45 K093, Républik Irlan
Barrycourt Castle in County Cork belonged to the Barry family from the 1100’s to the 1600’s. The main tower was constructed in the 1400’s with additions made in the 1500’s.
Address: Castle St, Townparks, Cahir, Co. Tipperary, Républik Irlan
This castle was built on an island in the Suir River in County Tipperary. It once belonged to the Butler family. The castle is currently setup as a visitor attraction with multimedia displays.
Charles Fort in County Cork was built in the late 1600’s under the design of William Robinson. It is one of the largest and most significant military structures in Ireland, and is the site of many famous milestones in the history of Ireland, including the war between the Catholic King James and the Protestant King William of Orange.
Address: Cork St, Sleveen, Kinsale, Co. Cork, Républik Irlan
Desmond Castle in County Cork was built by the Earl of Desmond around the turn of the 16th century. It was used as a customs house at first, and later as a prison. During the American revolutionary war, the British kept captured American sailors in Desmond Castle.
Ferns Castle in County Wexford was built in the 1200s by Earl Marshall William. While it was still whole, the castle stood in a square shape, and possessed massive towers at each corner. Now, only half of the castle stands intact.
Address: The Parade, Collegepark, Kilkenny, Ireland
Kilkenny Castle in County Kilkenny was built in the 1300s, and renovated in the 1800’s. It was once owned by the Butlers. The castle is open to the public and boasts an extensive art gallery.
Address: Kilmore, Co. Leitrim, Républik Irlan
Parkes Castle in County Leitrim was built in the early 1600\s. The castle, overlooking Lough Gill, is the historic home of the Parke family. It is believed that an earlier fortification existed where Parke’s Castle now stands.
Pearse Museum (Dublin)
Address: St Endas Park, Grange Rd, Rathfarnham, Dublin 16, D16 Y7Y5, Ireland
Former school run by Patrick Pearse, now a museum in beautiful grounds. Attractions include exhibitions, a nature study room with attractive displays on Irish flora and fauna and an audio-visual show titled This Man Kept a School\. Access for visitors with disabilities to ground floor and Nature Study Centre.
Address: 153 Rathfarnham Rd, Rathfarnham, Dublin 14, D14 F439, Ireland
Rathfarnham Caslte in Dublin was built in the late 16th century by Adam Loftus. Further interior decoration was done in the 1700s by William Chambers and James Stuart. Segments from each different era of the castle\s history are displayed at the visitor center.
Address: The Quay, Waterford, Ireland
Reginald’s Tower in Waterford was built shortly after the arrival of the Anglo-Normans in the early 1200’s. It was upgraded again in the 1400’s, and has been utilized as a defensive structure, a prison, a mint, and for weapons and munitions storage.
Rock of Cashel
Address: Moor, Cashel, Co. Tipperary, Ireland
The Rock of Cashel in County Tipperary is a collection of architecture from different periods. The original tower was built in the 1100’s, and the Gothic-style cathedral, which contains the famous High Cross, in the 1200\s. The castle was constructed in the 1400’s.
Roscrea Heritage Centre
Address: Castle St, Townparks, Roscrea, Co. Tipperary
The stone castle consists of a gate tower, curtain walls and two corner towers dating from the 1280’s. The castle rooms are furnished and some house exhibitions. Built in the early 18th century in the Queen Anne style, Damer House is an example of pre-Palladian architecture. Its rooms house temporary exhibitions.
Address: Ross Island, Killarney, Co. Kerry, Ireland
Ross Castle of County Kerry was constructed in the 1400’s as a stronghold for the O’Donoghues. The castle still possesses furniture and interior décor from the 1500’s and 1600’s.
Address: Trim, Co. Meath, Républik Irlan
Trim Castle in County Meath is Irelands most massive Anglo-Norman castle. It was built by Hugh de Lacy in the 12th century. The castle’s main keep is a 20-sided tower, 3 floors high. It is surrounded by a protective wall. A moat and a ditch. The outer wall is guarded by 5 strategic towers.
3. Historic Houses Ireland
Travel in Ireland provides you with the best information on Historic and Famous Buildings all over Ireland. From the Casino in Dublin, to Swiss Cottage in Galway and everything in between.
Casino, Marino (Dublin)
Address: Cherrymount Cres, Marino, Dublin 3
Casino is located at Marino, just off the Malahide Road and only 3 miles north of the centre of Dublin. It was designed by Sir William Chambers as a pleasure house for James Caulfeild, 1st Earl of Charlemont. It is one of the finest 18th century neo-classical buildings in Europe. The Casino, meaning small house, surprisingly contains a total of 16 finely decorated rooms. The interior is accessed by a stairway.
Castletown is the largest and most significant Palladian style country house in Ireland. Built c.1722 for the speaker of the Irish House of Commons, William Conolly (1622- 1729) the designs of a number of important architects were used, notably Alessandro Gailiei, Sir Edward Lovett Pearce and later Sir William Chambers. The entire estate was sold by the Conolly-Carew family in 1965 to a property developer and in 1967 the house and some parkland were purchased by the Hon. Desmond Guinness. Both Mr Guinness and subsequently the Castletown Foundation, who acquired the house in 1979, devoted considerable effort and resources to maintaining the house and restoring the principal rooms to a high standard. Castletown was transferred to state care on 1 January 1994.
Dwyer McAllister Cottage (Wicklow)
The cottage nestles in the shade of Kaedeen mountain at the top of a grassy lane off the Donard to Rathdangan road in Co. Wicklow. It is a fine example of a traditional thatched cottage built with local stone and whitewashed inside and out. It was from this cottage, in the Winter of 1799, that the famed rebel, Michael Dwyer, fought the encircling British groups and finally made good his escape over the snow covered mountains. The cottage was later destroyed by fire and lay in ruins for almost 150 years. It was restored to its original form as a monument in the late 1940s and again extensively repaired and re-roofed in 1992.
Emo Court (Laois)
Emo Court was designed by the architect James Gandon in 1790 for the Earls of Portarlington and is a magnificent example of this neo-classical style. During the middle of this century it was owned by the Jesuits, it was then acquired and extensively restored by Mr. Cholmeley-Harrison in the 1960s. The house is surrounded by beautiful gardens and parkland which were first laid out in the 18th century and contain formal lawns, a lake and woodland walks with many very fine trees and shrubs. The house and gardens were taken into State ownership in 1994.
Newmills Corn and Flax Mills (Donegal)
The oldest surviving building here is said to be 400 years old. Indeed, the whole complex is an interesting reminder of a stage in the industrial development of this country which has now given way to a more sophisticated, but usually far less fascinating technology. The visitor to Newmills can experience the pleasure of seeing one of the largest waterwheels in Ireland in action as it drives the machinery of the corn mill.
Swiss Cottage (Tipperary)
A delightful cottage orné\ built in the early 1800s by Richard Butler, 1st Earl of Glengall to a design by the famous Regency architect John Nash. Its interior contains a graceful spiral staircase and some elegantly decorated rooms. The wallpaper in the Salon manufactured by the Dufour factory is one of the first commercially produced Parisian wallpapers.
Teach an Phiarsaigh (Patrick Pearse’s Cottage) (Galway)
A small restored cottage used by Patrick Pearse (1879 1916) leader of the 1916 Rising, as a summer residence. The interior, although burned during the War of Independence, has been reconstructed and contains an exhibition and a number of momentoes of Pearse. Access for people with disabilities is restricted.
4. Museums and Places of Interest in Ireland
Travel in Ireland provides you with a complete listing and description of the many fascinationg museums all over Ireland, such as the National Museum of Ireland, the Natural History Museum and many more.
Brú na Boinne Vistor Centre (Meath)
The Brú na Bóinne Visitor Centre in County Meath is the only way to arrange visitation to the megalithic tombs at Newgrange and Knowth. The visitor centre possesses detailed information and multimedia presentations about these Boyne Valley treasures.
Corlea Trackway Visitor Centre
The Corlea Trackway Centre in County Longford details a 2nd century BC road which ran through a bog near the Shannon River. Many ancient artifacts were uncovered and are explained in the visitor centre.
Lusk Heritage Centre
Lusk Heritage Centre in County Dublin possesses a round tower, a medieval belfry and a 19th century church. They form a unit, although they were built over a period of almost a thousand years. The belfry now houses an exhibition on medieval churches of North County Dublin and also the magnificent 16th century effigy tomb of Sir Christopher Barnewall and his wife Marion Sharl.
Natural History Museum (Dublin)
The Natural History Museum, which is part of The National Museum of Ireland, is a zoological museum containing diverse collections of world wildlife.
The Blasket Centre
The Blasket Centre in Dún Chaoin, on the Dingle Peninsula in County Kerry details the lives of the inhabitants of the island of Blasket. Unfortunately, the once vigorous population of Blasket Island has been deserted since 1953, due to the toll emigration has taken on her population.
5. Parks, Gardens and Environments
Irelands natural beauty is show cased to perfection in the many parks and gardens that cover the country.
Altamont Gardens (Carlow)
Large, beautiful old world garden, Robinsonian in style with a strong emphasis on the informal tradition of combining a good plant collection within the natural landscape of its environment. Lawns and clipped yews slope down to a lake surrounded by rare trees and shrubs and a profusion of roses, old and modern, and herbaceous plants scent the air.
Connemara National Park (Galway)
Situated near Letterfrack, the Park covers some 2,000 hectares (4942 acres) of scenic countryside, rich in wildlife on the slopes of the Twelve Bens. Attractions include exhibitions, nature trails, audio-visual show. In addition there is a summer programme of walks, talks and special events for younger visitors. Access for visitors with disabilities in the Visitor Centre.
Coole Park, now a nature reserve, was the home of Lady Augusta Gregory dramatist, and co-founder with Edward Martyn and W.B. Yeats of the Abbey Theatre. Attractions include exhibitions, tea-rooms, nature trail walks, the famous Autograph Trees, and a lake and turlough.
Derrynane House, National Historic Park (Kerry)
Derrynane House is the ancestral home of Daniel O Connell, lawyer, politician and statesman. Situated on 120 hectares of parklands on the scenic Kerry coast, the House displays many relics of O Connell s life and career. Access for visitors with disabilities to ground floor.
Doneraile Wildlife Park (Cork)
The Park comprises approximately 166 hectares and is an outstanding example of an 18th century landscaped park in the Capability Brown\ style. Mature groves of deciduous trees, several restored water features and a number of deer herds can be viewed along the many pathways within the Park. The pathways are generally accessible for people with special needs. Doneraile Court, the former residence of the St. Leger family, is situated within the Park. It will be opened to the public in the future, following completion of necessary restoration and safety works.
Fota Arboretum and Gardens (Cork)
Fota Arboretum contains an extensive collection of trees and shrubs extending over an area of approx. 11 hectares (27 acres) and includes features such as ornamental pond, Italian and walled gardens. The collection includes many tender plants that could not be grown at inland locations with many examples of exotic plants from the southern hemisphere. The Gardens at Fota were laid out by James Hugh Smith-Barry in the first half of the 19th century.
Garden of Remembrance (Dublin)
Designed by Dáithí Hanly and dedicated to the memory of all those who gave their lives in the cause of Irish Freedom. The large sculpture by Oisín Kelly is based on the theme of the Children of Lir\. The garden is intended as a place of quiet remembrance and reflection.
Heywood Gardens (Laois)
Completed in 1912, the property consists of gardens, lakes, woodland and architectural features. It was transferred to State ownership in November 1993 from the Salesian Fathers who had taken care of it since 1941. The formal Gardens form the centre-piece of the property and were designed by the famous architect, Sir Edwin Lutyens (1869-1944) and probably landscaped by Gertrude Jekyll (1843-1932). It is one of four Gardens in this country designed by him, the others being in the War Memorial Park, Lambay Island and Howth Castle. The Gardens are composed of four elements linked by a terrace that ran along the front of the house which now no longer exists. An extensive re-planting programme is currently underway. There is also limited access for visitors with disabilities.
Ilnacullin (Garinish Island) (Cork)
Located in the sheltered harbour of Glengarriff in Bantry Bay, Ilnacullin is a small island of 15 hectares (37 acres) known to horticulturists and lovers of trees and shrubs all around the world as an island garden of rare beauty. The gardens of Ilnacullin owe their existence to the creative partnership, some eighty years ago, of Annan Bryce, then owner of the island and Harold Peto, architect and garden designer. Access to the Island is by small ferry boats and licensed 60 seater water buses. Please note that the boat operators impose a separate charge in respect of the boat journey to and from the island.
Killarney National Park (Kerry)
The National Park comprises of 10,000 hectares (24,700 acres) of beautiful lake and mountain scenery. The Park is famous for its native natural habitats and species including oakholly woods, yew woods and red deer.
The National Park Visitor Centre (located at Muckross House) and the Information Point at Torc Waterfall provide information on all aspects of the park. Access for visitors with disabilities to The Visitor Centre.
The Education Centre, located at Knockreer House, provides a range of courses related to nature conservation and the ecology of The National Park for school children, students and other groups. For information Tel: +353 64 35960 or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or write to Killarney National Park, Education Centre, Knockreer House, Killarney, County Kerry.
This is an arboretum particularly famous for its conifers and calcifuges, planted during the 19th century by Thomas Acton in conjunction with David Moore and his son, Sir Frederick Moore, curators of the National Botanic Gardens in Glasnevin. It was a time of great botanical and geographical explorations with numerous species from around the world being brought back to Ireland through Glasnevin. The more favourable soil and climatic conditions at Kilmacurragh resulted in many of these specimens succeeding there while struggling or failing at Glasnevin. Restoration work is being carried out on the grounds. There is also limited access fot visitors with disabilities.
Muckross House and Gardens (Kerry)
Within Killarney National Park is Muckross House a magnificent Victorian mansion and one of Ireland s leading stately homes. The elegantly furnished rooms portray the lifestyles of the landed gentry, while downstairs in the basement one can experience the working conditions of the servants employed in the House. The Gardens at Muckross House are renowned world-wide for their beauty. In particular they are noted for their fine collections of azaleas and rhododendrons, an extensive water garden, and an outstanding rock garden hewn out of natural limestone.
Muckross Traditional Farms (Kerry)
Three separate working farms, with a range of farm animals including traditional Kerry cows and farm machinery will help you relive the past. Muckross Traditional Farms takes you back to a time before the advent of electricity when all work was carried out using traditional methods. Meet and chat with the farmers and their wives as they go about their daily work in the houses, on the land, and with the animals. A complimentary vintage coach operates around the Traditional Farms for the benefit of elderly and physically challenged visitors.
National Botanic Gardens (Dublin)
These colorful gardens cover a total area of 19.5 hectares, part of which is the natural flood plain of the river Tolka. The gardens contain a large plant collection which includes approximately 20,000 species and cultivars. There are four ranges of glasshouses including the recently restored Curvilinear Range. Notable features include herbaceous displays, rose garden, rockery, vegetable garden, arboretum, extensive shrub borders and wall plants. Gardens are accessible for people with disabilities but there are some steep gradients.
Phoenix Park Visitor Centre (Dublin)
A lively and entertaining exhibition on the history and the wildlife of the Phoenix Park is on display in the Visitor Centre. Here the visitor can enjoy a historical interpretation of the park from 3500 B.C. to the present day and can also view an audio-visual presentation on the Phoenix Park through the ages. Adjoining the Visitor Centre is the fully restored Ashtown Castle, a medieval tower house that probably dates from the 17th century. There is also a restaurant in the grounds of the Visitor Centre. The Centre is sign-posted from the Phoenix Monument.
St. Stephens Green (Dublin)
Probably Ireland’s best known Victorian public park. This 22 Acre Park is a sanctuary from the bustle of the city streets with tree lined walk, shrubberies, colourful flowerbeds, herbaceous borders, rockeries, an ornamental lake and a garden for the visually impaired. Lunchtime concerts are performed during the summer months.
The Iveagh Gardens (Dublin)
The Iveagh Gardens are among the finest and least known of Dublin s parks and gardens. They were designed by Ninian Niven in 1863 and include a rustic grotto, cascade, fountains, maze, rosarium, archery grounds, wilderness and woodlands. An ongoing programme of restoration is taking place.
The Wexford Wildfowl Reserve (Wexford)
The Wexford Slobs are internationally famous for wild geese which spend the winter months here. The first geese came to the Slobs in 1898. These were Greylags from Iceland the common winter goose in Ireland at that time. However, White-fronted Geese from Greenland, first appearing on the Slobs about 1910 building up to several thousand in the mid-1930s, replaced the Greylags. Currently about 10,000 Greenland White-fronted Geese, one-third of the world population, spend the winter on the Wexford Slobs. The Visitor Centre has many interesting exhibitions and an audio-visual show. Restricted access for people with disabilities.
War Memorial Gardens (Dublin)
These gardens are one of the most famous memorial gardens in Europe. These gardens are not only a place of remembrance but are also of architectural interest and of great beauty. The others being Heywood Gardens, Lambay Island and those in Howth Castle. Sunken rose gardens, herbaceous borders and extensive tree planting make for an enjoyable visit to the Gardens in any season.
Wicklow Mountains National Park
The National Park which covers much of upland Wicklow, contains an area of approximately 20,000 hectares (49,421 acres). This includes large areas of mountain blanket bogs, including the Lugnaquilla and Liffey Head Bog complexes and Glendalough Wood Nature Reserve. The National Park provides protection for the landscape and the wildlife, from rare orchids to the wild and beautiful Peregrine Falcon.
6. Stone Structures – Monuments, Dolmens, Statues and others
Stone monuments in Ireland range from the mysterious to the highly informative. Some of these stone structures pre-date even Stone Henge. Ancient Celtic and early Christian tombs in Ireland give us a glimpse into the spiritual past of Ireland.
Carrowmore Megalithic Cemetery
Carrowmore Megalithic Cemetery in County Sligo is the biggest megalithic cemetery in Ireland. It featuressome of Irelands oldest tombs.
Ceide Fields in County Mayo is the worlds most comprehensive Stone Age construction. It possesses ancient agricultural fields, habitation areas, and many megalithic tombs dating back over 5,000 years. The nearby bog is home to many important specimens of flora and fauna.
Dun Aonghasa (Galway)
Dun Aonghasa in County Galway is the biggest of the ancient stone enclosures on the Aran Islands. The Dun Aoghasa visitor centre is less than a kilometer away from the monumental site.
Dunmore Cave is located in County Kilkenny. There are fascinating arrangements of calcite found within. Mention of Dunmore Cave goes back over a thousand years to ancient Gaelic tales.
Hill of Tara
Its historical significance goes back into prehistoric times, up through early Christianity in Ireland, and into the present day. A multimedia presentation is available at the nearby visitor center.